This post is also available in: hrvatski (Croatian)
Earth Day was first celebrated on April 22, 1970 in the United States, with the beginning of the awakening of awareness about the preservation of the environment and the impact of human action on nature. Today, Earth Day is being celebrated in more than 190 countries around the world with the aim of raising the awareness of all generations about the protection of nature. Numerous campaigns and actions seek to draw attention to the danger that threatens life on Earth due to climate change, global pollution, destruction of ecosystems and endangerment of animal and plant species. The theme of this year’s Earth day is “Restore Our Earth”.
Our planet is our future, and caring for it is the responsibility of each one of us. With this in mind, we have singled out a few practices that everyone can introduce into their daily lives and, within their own capabilities, act in the direction of reducing man’s harmful impact on the environment.
1. Reduce, reuse, and recycle: Cut down on what you throw away. Follow the three “R’s” to conserve natural resources and landfill space.
2. Volunteer: Volunteer for cleanups in your community or, better yet, organize them yourself!
3. Educate yourself: When you further your own education, you can help others understand the importance and value of our natural resources.
4. Conserve water: The less water you use, the less runoff and wastewater that eventually end up in the ocean.
5. Shop sustainably and wisely: Buy less plastic and bring a reusable shopping bag.
6. Use long-lasting light bulbs: Energy efficient light bulbs reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Also flip the light switch off when you leave the room!
7. Plant a tree: Trees provide food and oxygen. They help save energy, clean the air, and help combat climate change.
8. Don’t send chemicals into our waterways: Choose non-toxic chemicals in the home and office.
9. Walk and bike more: Drive less, and when you do, use carpooling as often as you can.
The official poster for this year’s Earth Day was created by the famous Brazilian artist Paulo Cesar Silva – Speto, who said the following about his work: “My work symbolizes hope in young people who are the cradle of our future. The deer is a symbol of peace, kindness and tenderness. Although “timid”, she is able to resist the enemy. She is not helpless, but very strong and brave. The sun, thanks to the life energy it gives us, represents the progress of humanity. ”
#Sustainable is our #NewNormal!